Thursday, January 12, 2012

Death was singing in the shower, Death was happy to be alive.

I've decided to split my reading of this book into three different posts. (maybe two if I read ahead and finish) The title of this post was taken from text in the very first chapter of the book. The reason being, I found it humorous. The way he takes death and puts an amusing twist. So far the plot is about a modern day princess who has traveled to Hawaii with her servant that cannot speak any language other than espanol. So far, isn't really my style but I am open minded to it and will finish. Honestly, I just need to get over when they call her "princess". That's the only thing turning me off right now. But anyhoo. The princess, Leigh-Cheri, is a little bit kooky but not in an entirely bad way. Some aspects about her I can connect to, such as the fact that she's not super social but she was a cheerleader and she doesn't mind being alone. The others, however, are more typical "I love him. cry cry. why can't I find a man. blah blah blah." kind of stuff I don't really understand with females (no offense if you act this way, it's just not me). The book quoted "There are three lost continents.. We are one, the lovers." in the first page and kinda made me think right away 'oh no, this is chick-lit.' but I have a feeling the book with change. Mostly because my friend Pat, who is not a feminine man, loaned me this book giving it high recommendations and he doesn't seem like the type to read a chick-lit novel. But hey, who knows.
"Albert Camus wrote that the only serious question is whether to kill yourself or not. Tom Robbins wrote that the only serious question is whether time has a beginning and an end. Camus clearly got up on the wrong side of the bed and Robbins must have forgotten to set the alarm. There is only one serious question. and that is: Who knows how to make love stay? Answer me that and I will tell you whether or not to kill yourself."  
-Still Life with the Woodpecker

No comments:

Post a Comment