Thursday, April 12, 2012

Notes 2 & 3.

I've decided nostalgia is my topic. Simply because 'remembrance' was too hard to fulfill. A YouTube video that matches my topic is The Tree of Life-You Spoke To Me. click on the link to watch.

This video has such a beautiful, nostalgic feeling to it that you can't help but smile and be at peace. It shows a connection between both husband and wife, as it does to parents and their soon-to-be-born child. The parents reflect back to the days when their little boy was in the making; it was easier then. Unborn children fend for themselves in the warm, womb they call home. Once out in the real world, babies are prey to predators that the parents and guardians must protect them from. The choice of camera angles and sweet sounds incorporated into this scene is nostalgic in a way that you almost can't wait to experience this on your own, yearning to hold this feeling in your own heart.

The second artifact I decided to use was a song by Iron & wine:


"Give this stone to my brother

Cuz we found it playing in the barnyard
Many years ago

Give this bone to my father
He'll remember hunting in the hills
When I was 10 years old

May my love reach you all
I lost it in myself and buried it too long
Now that I come to fall
Please say it's not too late
Now that I'm dead and gone

Give this string to my mother
It pulled the baby teeth she keeps inside the drawer
Give this ring to my lover
I was scared and stupid not to ask
For her hand long before

May my love reach you all
I lost it in myself and buried it too long
Now that I come to fall
Please say it's not too late
Now that I'm dead and gone"


Each different verse makes separate people look back on their lives. This dying man makes sure that these people will remember old memories and he dies. Though death is near "please don't say it's too late now that I'm dead and gone." It gives a peaceful feeling to death saying that you don't have to say goodbye, you can live again in someones thoughts.

3 comments:

  1. Claim-3
    Support-2, You did well with the limited space, it would be good to expand the support on your claim.
    Discussion-2, You interpret your subjects well, however, you could have deeper inferences.
    Language-3, Good structure, and concise, accurate wording.

    ReplyDelete