Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye

I read this book in one day. I always started it but never finished because something came up and I'm not the kind of person that can stop reading then just hop right back into where I was. It has to be continuous. or at least partially continuos. or else my mind is overfilled with other, useless thoughts that cloud the feelings I got from reading the previous night, or day before. If a big gap of time does come up, not allowing me to read, then I will have to re-read a few pages or even a chapter or two to get back to where I was.
This novel is definitely my favorite. Most people are aware that it was the book that John Lennon's murder always carried around with him. Because of this it was banned in a lot of places. Worried it may have the same effect on others as it did on Mark Chapman (Lennon's murderer). The whole book is about teenage agnst. This Holden character is just so frustrated with the world and constantly has a sarcastic tone which is humorous in some ways because he has such crude humor. Holden doesn't understand how everyone can be so fake (Which I'm sure everyone can connect to). One example is that his roomate always makes sure he looks prim and proper, but if you really knew the guy, or ever saw his room, you'd know he's exactly to opposite. His roomate was a slob but pretended otherwise around others. Holden's kicked out of three different, prestigious schools that his rich parents keep sending him to. He stands on a hill, looking down on the football game that allll the students are at, and he bids farewell to his school and all their lousy students. He's finally fed up with the whole education thing and he uses his money to buy and apartment. He sneaks into his own home, because his parents are unaware he's flunked out of all five subjects, and he visits his sister. Which is the only person, in his mind, who is not fake and he's determined to make sure she never will be. This message has a deeper meaning than what meets the eye and you have to ask yourself after reading: "What does this all mean?"

No comments:

Post a Comment