Monday, February 20, 2012

You should never hesitate to trade your cow for a handful of magic beans.

There are two kinds of people in this world; those who believe there are two types of people in this world and those who are smart enough to know better.' One of my favorite quotes from the book. I finally finished it and I like posting concluding entries rather than a few little ones throughout my reading. but i will, however, do that with my next book.

The book is about a princess by the name of Leigh-cheri, daughter of a disposed monarchy living somewhere in Seattle. She has woman who has raised her most of her life with the title of their maid. The maid, Guiletta is a secret cocaine addict and the heir to their kingdom. Leigh-cheri is a flower child type and is really big on humanitarian causes. She is in love with a man who has always been thought of as a big humanitarian himself, blowing up buildings for the sake of peace and protest. Later she finds out he's mainly in it just to stir the pot, but her eyes are still glazed with love for him. They both have read hair an are thought to be from other planets, according to the natives of Hawaii. They don't care. He feeds her tequila after tequila and the have lots of sex (not quite school appropriate but it's life). 

This post was LONG over due. and I started this post in the end of January but I kept forgetting to go back to it. This makes up for the two or three posts I have lacked regarding my reading. I am finished reading Still Life With Woodpecker by Tom Robbins. I finished it long ago but I never published a post about it. It is his third book and it was written in 1980. Definitely one of the strangest books I have ever read, but not necessarily in a bad way. Very different and almost cartoonish, almost child-like but with adult humor and risque. Tom Robbins is an acquired taste that you'd have to build up. After reading this I am anxious to read more to determine if his books are appealing to me or not. (I can't decide if his prose is terrible or appealing) The writing style really has a Vonnegut tone to it which I loved because he's another good author.




"Albert Camus wrote that the only serious question is whether to kill yourself or not. 
Tom Robbins wrote that the only serious question is whether time has a beginning and an end. 
Camus clearly got up on the wrong side of bed, and Robbins must have forgotten to set the alarm. 
There is only one serious question. And that is: Who knows how to make love stay? 
Answer me that and I will tell you whether or not to kill yourself."

No comments:

Post a Comment